Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Gladiolus (hoa Lay-ơn)







-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Sleeping bee"
Có chú ong nhỏ đang ngủ trên lá
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




These naturalize very well (that means it multiplies quickly with new corms year after year). We have to be careful when buying since lots of stores just have planting directions without hardiness zone. So before buying any flowers, you should know your hardiness zone and buy the plants/bulbs/seeds for that specific zone.
I learned it the hard way. All of my warm/tropical bulbs died & rotten after burying under snow. I was literally crying over my prized flowers for weeks (seriously, imagine all of the $$$$ & effort ) because I thought local stores would sell you stuff that will thrive locally. But it was dead wrong. So I live in zone 5, I should buy those that will live through its winter ie tulips, lilies and peonies require cooling period of winter months to flower (these usually have hardiness zone of 3 through 7). Any other plants outside the "comfort zone", I have to dig & store the bulbs in fall or save the seeds for next year (ie calla lilies, dahlia, freesia, ranunculus...).
Most of the gladiolus is winter-tender which will not survive through the snow and freezing season. Only a few type (as my pic above) is strong enough to withstand its harshness.
As I grow older, I don't want to buy any that's beyond my zone because it's such a hassle to plant & dig bulbs. I just want anything that will stay in 1 place undisturbed.



No comments:

Post a Comment